Skip to menu | Skip to content |    A  A  A 

Disability Information Directory

Redbridge Emergency Support Scheme (RESS)

PO Box 1358,

Tel: 020 8591 9705

More on the web: Download application form on Redbridge i

Category: Community Support Services, Debt and Mental Health, Emergency, Information & Advice

Service Description:
The scheme will provide financial help in two ways, but ONLY where there is no alternative help available:

  1. Where urgent short term help is needed in exceptional circumstances, for example after an emergency or disaster, or to prevent serious risk to a person's or their immediate family's health or safety.

  2. Where a person needs help to establish themselves in Redbridge after being in institutional care, as part of a planned resettlement programme, for example after leaving prison or residential care.

Please note: No cash payments will be made unless exceptional circumstances apply.

Who can get Emergency Support?

We may be able to help you if you:

  • Are aged 18 or over

  • Have lived continuously in Redbridge for at least 6 weeks, or will be returning to Redbridge after leaving care, unless exceptional circumstances apply.

  • Are getting a qualifying benefit (see qualifying benefit information box) or will be getting one within the next eight weeks if leaving care.

  • Are unable to get help from anywhere else (for example from own savings, family, friends, other public or voluntary organisation)

  • Are able to claim public funds i.e. not subject to immigration controls.

  • Have not received an emergency support payment from this or another Local Authority or the DWP for any reason/purpose in the previous 6 months.

  • Not have received an emergency support payment from this or another Local Authority or the DWP for the same reason/purpose in the previous 12 months.

  • Are not subject to a DWP sanction or disallowance

  • Have not been housed in Redbridge by another council - you will need to ask for help from the council that placed you.

    Qualifying benefits

    • Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)

    • Income Support

    • Employment Support Allowance (Income based)

    • Pension Credit Guarantee

    • Incapacity Benefit (Income based)

    • Housing Benefit

    • Council Tax Reduction

    • Universal Credit

    What can RESS help with?

    We may be able to help you if you need:

    • Help with settling into a new home after a period in an institution, for example after leaving care or prison

    • Help to avoid having to go into care

    • Help moving due to domestic violence

    • Help after a domestic disaster, such as fire, flood or burglary

    • Emergency help with household essentials, such as food, gas, electricity where the health of you or a member of your immediate family will be at serious risk if you do not get this help.

    • RESS can help in different ways depending on the type of support needed. For example, the following may be provided:

    • Recycled furniture or reconditioned white goods may be provided

    • Essential household items such as crockery, cutlery, kitchen utensils, towels and bedding

    • Gift vouchers or payment cards for certain supermarkets and shops

    • Income maximisation and money management advice

    Please note: no cash payments will be made unless exceptional circumstances apply.

    What RESS cannot help with

    We cannot help if you are waiting for your first DWP payment or have had a change in your circumstances and are waiting for your benefit to be adjusted.

    You should contact the DWP to request a Short Term Benefit Advance, call Jobcentre Plus on 0845 603 6347

Days & Hours of Opening: Open: Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm
Closed: Saturday and Sunday